Samsung is pushing out the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy S3 today, bringing several new features to last year’s flagship device. The update has started rolling out in Ireland, but it might take a while before it reaches carrier branded devices and other countries. Not long, though.
The Galaxy S3 didn’t get the 4.2 JB update at all, like the Note 2, but Samsung did a smart thing here by bumping it to 4.3 directly, saving on testing costs and delays etc. The 4.2 update wasn’t a good one anyway, riddled with bugs and slowdowns, so yeah, good for the users of the GS3.
Here’s the changelog:
- Galaxy Gear Support
- TRIM Support
- ANT+ Support
- Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4
- New Samsung Keyboard
- GPU drivers have been updated
- New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- New Screen modes
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications
- Move-to-SD-card feature
- New Camera modes
- New Additions in Notification Centre
- Completely revamped Settings UI
- Implementation of Voice controls
- New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
- Full screen Samsung apps
- New S-Voice
Keep an eye on Samsung’s Kies software as well as the OTA option in Settings on your phone.